SAVE THE DATE: September 23, 2017
Imagine receiving a set of keys to historic homes, theaters, sacred spaces, secret vaults, studios and more for free.
The inaugural Doors Open Rhode Island Festival will provide free, special access to 20+ places across Providence on Saturday, September 23 (10am-6pm). Visitors will build their own explorations of participating venues, each activated with programming and interpretation. What kind of places? Here’s a taste of what to expect:
- Experience Victorian splendor inside Barnaby’s Castle
- Tour the Box Office, one of the largest shipping container buildings in the country
- Walk the upper floors of the Providence Arcade, the oldest indoor shopping mall in the country and now a model for micro-living
- Walk through the vault door of Hudson Furs that once protected the belongings of the notorious Raymond Patriarca and his associates, and learn about the largest heist in local history
- Climb up inside the giant green dome above Beneficent Congregational Church and see graffiti that dates back 100+ years
Full site listing will be made available in July 2017.
Doors Open Worldwide
The Doors Open RI Festival follows in the footsteps of over 50 cities around the world developing successful open house festivals, such as London, Tel Aviv and New York, and smaller cities such as Milwaukee, Baltimore and Lowell.
Doors Open RI Director, Caroline Stevens previously managed Open House Chicago, the signature event of the Chicago Architecture Foundation and with 100,000 visitors this past year, now the largest open house festival in the country.