Orchard Avenue’s Sacred Sisters: St. Martin’s Church and Temple Beth-El
Fri, May 6; 2-3:15pm
St. Martin’s Church, 50 Orchard Avenue
Temple Beth-El, 70 Orchard Avenue
This walk will illuminate many of the architectural similarities and differences between the neighboring houses of worship. St. Martins, an Episcopal congregation, built its second home in 1917 in a Gothic Revival style. Temple Beth-El, which belongs to Judaism’s Reform movement, built its third home in 1954 in a modern style. United in their devotion to faith, peace, justice, and kindness, the congregations have enjoyed a long tradition of mutual respect and friendship. Far more than coincidence has allowed the congregations to flourish within Roger Williams’ Providence.
Dr. George M. Goodwin and Rev. Mark Sutherland
Dr. Goodwin has been a Beth-El member for 35 years. In addition to attending and occasionally leading services, he and his family have celebrated numerous life-cycle rituals at the Temple. As an art and architectural historian, Goodwin has a deep interest in synagogue architecture in America and elsewhere around the world. Having written for many publications, he has also edited “Rhode Island Jewish Historical Notes” for 18 years. He is a former board member of the Rhode Island Historical Society.