About This Site
Designed by Pawtucket architect Albert H. Humes, Cogswell Tower was built and gifted to the City of Central Falls by local industrialist Alvin Jenks in 1904. The tower’s construction was financed through a bequest by Caroline Cogswell. Cogswell Tower sits atop the historic Dexter’s Ledge, originally known as Quinsniket, from which Native American scouts spotted an approaching company of colonial troops and allied Native Americans during King Philip’s War in 1676. The tower stands almost seventy feet tall with a clock face on each of its four sides. A brick barrel vault supports the structure and conceals a rarely-seen grotto at the base of the tower.
Behind The Scenes
Venture behind the four clock faces of this almost seventy-five-foot-tall clock tower, then take a peek at the rarely-seen grotto beneath.